9 Sept 2009

Climate Camp, London. 26th Aug - 2nd September.

Photos, print (c) 2009 Rudolf Cech. All Rights Reserved.

Climate activists descended on London on wednesday 26th August 2009. Various 'swoop' positions were announced but that's all everyone, apart from few knew. No one knew where the Climate Camp will be set up. This was done on purpose - mice and cat game = activists - police. I found it quite amusing as texts of where to go next were coming in. Amusing and lame. But then what would you expect from a bunch of 'climate' hippies. Maybe a guitar song and some cous-cous.

List of all swoop positions can be found HERE



The swoop group I started gathered at St. James's Square where BP headquarters is situated at. First text where to go next arrived just after 1pm. Trafalgar sq. Merely 10mins walk. 5 cigarettes and long 45mins later another text.

Charing Cross Station. Merely 2mins walk. Lame. Last text - go to Lewisham station and then trek to Blackheath.
Urgh! We all have been hoping Camp would be set up somewhere central but no, Blackheath!!


I must say the location of the camp was carefuly chosen. With a lovely view over the London's financial districk, Canary Wharf. On a public land where, funnily
enough, them hippies set up their 'code of climate camp conduct', and where hoping every single journalist would follow it.
Look HERE at what my fellow photographer Jono wrote about the camp's policies.


I stayed at the camp till the late hours waiting for one shot only to return the next day finding the camp's policy ridiculous. And so the fact I had to have a minder with me looking over my shoulder checking up on me what Im taking pictures of .

I assume that after an agreement with camp's organizers, the Police have set up a CCTV camera overlooking the camp spying on veggies juicing oranges, using solar power to recharge mobile phones and using wind turbines to supply power for their own 'Climate Camp TV and Radio.


Ends

No comments:

Post a Comment